The Church of St. Mark the Evangelist
160 Dibble Street West, Prescott, ON
Heritage Attributes
This building is an excellent example of Gothic Architecture. This style was brought about by a group of English theologians who south to revive architecture used during the Middle Ages.
Along with the Convent and Rectory located on either side of the Church, these buildings create an attractive and historical area on Dibble Street.
In 1832 Bishop Macdonnell purchased the property from the Jessup estate and a Catholic Church was built but is no longer on the property. It is unknown whether this church was destroyed by fire or pulled down after the present church was built in 1888.
The present church was designed by Mr. Thomas Connolly and completed in 1888. The interior of the church was completed in 1906 by the Paneroni Brothers, an Italian firm.
Property Information
Legal Description
Lots 9 and 10, North side of Dibble Street, and Lots 9 and 10, South side of James Street, Block 2, Plan 19
Designating By-Law